This week’s recipe for our Weekend Kitchen comes from loyal reader and fan Amanda Bates. I jumped on this recipe because there are seven ingredients in this recipe, four of which you probably already have in your pantry and nine easy steps. This is an ideal Weekend Kitchen recipe, and if you’re having company, it’s sure to impress.
The Weekend Kitchen at South Florida Food and Wine presents *easy* Sea Scallops and Pancetta
4 large sea scallops (2 per person)
1 slice of thick cut pancetta
- Begin by slicing the pancetta into lardons (lardons is the French term for matchstick-cut pieces of bacon) while heating a large skillet with olive oil.
- When the skillet is ready, place lardons in and leave until the fat has rendered and they are completely crisp.
- Remove liquid from pan, but reserve a small amount to sear scallops with.
- Season scallops to taste with kosher salt and cracked pepper.
- Make sure scallops are completely dry before placing them in skillet to get proper sear.
- Use reserved pancetta fat as searing liquid.
- Sear scallops 2 minutes per side, and be sure not to move them until turning over
- Place scallops on plate and top with the crispy pancetta.
- Season watercress with lemon juice, salt and pepper, and a touch of finishing oil.
- Garnish scallops with watercress salad and serve immediately