The silliness of National Food and Drink Days has gripped many, myself included. Look what happened on National Burger Day. While I completely buy into the marketing of these national days for the small business to get-people-in-the-door, I won’t stand in line for a free 12-oz cup of coffee, it’s not worth it to me; it parallels Black Friday holiday shopping sales, and that is one nightmare I’ll steer clear of thank you very much.
October’s National Food and Drink Days has me in a tailspin already. It’s more like NATIONAL CARBOHYDRATE MONTH if you ask me. There are a few days targeting my weak points and I really am not sure I’ll be able to stand strong against them, without aligining myself with the over-indulgent enemy. And I have yet to find a National Juicing Day; I just might have to petition that one myself.
So here’s my food and drink quandary for October,
- October 1: Homemade Cookies Day (had you known me during the days of RGC, you’d understand)
- October 4: National Taco Day and National Vodka Day (double whammy! tacos are my second weakness to pasta)
- October 6: National Noodle Day (Noodles are pasta’s alias)
- October 8: National Pierogi Day (a Polish ravioli, my grandmother made the best Pierogis)
- October 9: Moldy Cheese Day and Submarine-Hoagy-Hero-Grinder Day (another double whammy!)
- October 12: National Gumbo Day (Thank God I’m not in the Big Easy; I might be able to escape this one)
- October 16: World Food Day ( I don’t even know what this means, but it doesn’t sound like a day of moderation. At all.)
- October 16: National Liqueur Day (one word: Aperol!)
- October 17: National Pasta Day (I’m doomed.)
- October 18: National Chocolate Cupcake Day (again, had you known me during the days of RGC)
- October 19: National Seafood Bisque Day (butter and cream with shrimp and lobster and we’re only half way through the month)
- October 25: World Pasta Day (SAY WHAT????!!!!!)
- October 27: National Potato Day (mashed with butter and cream; don’t even give me that plain-baked nonsense)
- October 28: National Chocolate Day (Really? Really?)
- October 28: Wild Foods Day (does this mean go-wild eating food? or eat the wild moldy mushrooms in my garden)
- October 30: National Candy Corn Day (This exasperating orange and yellow piece of candy, too-too easy to eat a handful)
Should weakness prevail and I give into any or all of these national days, I just might start National Juicing Day on the off days, because you know anything you hype on Social Media is true….right?
Click here for the entire list of National Food and Drink Days in October
Sign up to be on our mailing list
Follow South Florida Food and Wine on Google+