So you think you can cook? You think you can gumbo? Well here’s your chance. Big Dog Station in Oakland Park is holding its annual Gumbo Cookoff Competition on November 12th with proceeds benefiting Gilda’s Club South Florida. Applications are now being accepted for teams. The winning team gets bragging rights and a trophy. Teams are made up of four, a captain and three members, so start thinking who’s gumbo-talented in your posse of friends and put your team together. There will be two gumbo categories: Seafood and Country. But I’m wondering, do you okra, filé or roux? or a combination of all three? Anyone with gumbo gumption, knows it’s all in the roux. Your secret family roux is the ticket to winning this competition.
All donations will be tax deductible and a percentage of the profits from both the raffle and the gumbo cook-off will go to Gilda’s Club South Florida to support programs for men women and children touched by cancer. Download the entry form by clicking here.
Rules & regulations:
1. Entry fee will be $40 and is to be submitted no later than Monday, November 7th. Entry fee is non-refundable.
2. All spaces will be 8 foot square and numbered. Set up time will be 9:30AM on November 12, 2015.
3. Each team will consist of a total of four participants: a captain and three members.
4. There will be two categories: Seafood and Country
5. All vegetables, and meats may be chopped ahead of time, as well as the roux may be made ahead of time
6. All cooking must be cooked on site
7. Cooking units must be GAS with 10 ft. hose and gas container in a crate (no open fires or charcoal). Cook stoves will be lit at 10:00 AM. Gumbo must be done at 3:00 PM.
8. Cups will be provided for the judges.
9. Judges will determine winners on front end taste, back end taste, texture, and aroma.
10. Trophy will be given for best presentation
The event will be held at Big Dog Station – 3148 NE 12 Ave., Oakland Park. If you have any questions, contact Jack White or any of the bartenders at Big Dog Station by calling (954) 561-4304.
Sign up to be on our mailing list